One of the most common causes of a car accident is from a driver driving through a stop sign. As some of you can assume, running a stop sign can cause an accident for several reasons.
Sometimes drivers aren’t familiar with an area and run a stop sign by accident. Other times, drivers are lazy and just want to rush through a stop sign.
Without being too obvious, you should never run a stop sign. Running a stop sign may not only cause an accident with another car, but it may injure a person who is walking by.
Why risk something as serious as this, when the reality of it all can be completely avoidable?
In order to fully understand the dangers of running a stop sign, the statistics, why people run them, and why shouldn’t run them will help any driver understand the danger and serious nature surrounding the subject.
Statistics on Running Stop Signs
As noted, down below are a few statistics on car accidents being caused by stop signs.
- National statistics reveal that 1/3rd of all intersection crashes in the United States occur at stop sign-controlled intersections.
- It causes around 700,000 crashes annually.
- More than 40-percent of fatal crashes that take place every year are caused at stop sign-controlled intersections.
As you can tell by the numbers, the statistics surrounding stop signs and accidents are staggering. They demonstrate the danger behind the issue and why the issue needs to stop.
However, to fully understand the statistics, the reason people run stop signs in the first place needs to be addressed.
Why People Run Stop Signs
As noted, down below are a few reasons why people run stop signs.
- The main cause of running stop signs is by people who aren’t paying attention. Inattention is a massive issue, and drivers should always be alert of their surroundings.
- Impatience is a massive issue for stop signs. People don’t want to wait or come to a complete stop and run through the stop sign. Something that should never be done.
- Reckless driving such as speeding or driving in a hurry is very common for people to run a stop sign. Something that will only cause harm and no good.
- People who drive under the influence have no ability to properly stop at something like a sign. Causing them to make the mistake of driving through a stop sign and cause mayhem.
Why You Shouldn’t Run a Stop Sign
As noted, down below are a few reasons why people shouldn’t run stop signs.
- You may hurt a civilian. If you don’t stop at a stop sign, a person may try to cross the street and you might not see them until the last second. Causing you and the person crossing to be injured.
- You may hit another vehicle. Running any stop sign runs the risk of hitting another car who has a right away. Causing you to damage your car, the other person’s car, or worst.
- You can get arrested or get a ticket. Ignoring stop signs is a perfect reason for a police officer to give you a ticket or worst. It’s best you just listen to traffic laws instead of ignoring them.
Have You been involved in a car accident after someone ran a stop sign?
Running stop signs is one of the main causes of car accidents in the United States. If you or someone you love has been involved in an auto accident after another driver ran a stop sign, we can help. You may be entitled to compensation. Contact us via our online form, or give us a call at (865) 888-8888 and speak to one of our experienced car accident attorneys.