In general, driving can be stressful and worrisome for a lot of individuals. This is especially the case in the event of an accident. One of the largest causes of car accidents is caused by improper lane changes. An improper lane change is usually caused by a driver changing lanes without looking or from not using a blinker. This has been known to cause devastating accidents; especially on the thruway. It’s very important for everyone to look before they change lanes. If they don’t look before they change lanes, they might cause a devastating accident. However, there are other examples of improper lane changes, all of which we’ll go over. To fully understand this issue and the danger surrounding it, we’re going to look at all of the examples of it, statistics on it, and how you can avoid the issue in general.
Examples of Improper Lane Changes
As noted, down below are a few examples of improper lane changes.
- As stated earlier, the most obvious example of an improper lane change is when a driver changes lanes without looking. Even with their blinker on, they might change lanes and hit a car without realizing they’re there. Thus, the reason it’s so important to look before you change lanes.
- If someone changes a lane without using their blinker, this is an example of an improper lane change. You have a blinker for a reason so use it. Otherwise, a driver might not realize you’re changing lanes and cause an accident.
- Another example of an improper lane change is when a driver goes back and forth between lanes. It’s never a smart idea to speed around cars and drive between lanes. This will more than likely cause an accident.
Statistics on Improper Lane Changes
Down below are some statistics on this issue that highlight the danger surrounding it.
- 9-percent of all accidents in the United States are caused by reckless lane changes.
- A lot of these accidents are caused by motorcyclists.
- Almost 35,000 people are injured per year in the United States from unsafe lane changes.
- Almost 6,000 people die per year in the United States from unsafe lane changes.
As you can tell, this is a very serious issue among drivers. Thus, the reason why it’s so important to take the proper steps to avoid it.
How to Avoid Improper Lane Changes
Down below are a few tips on how to avoid an accident from something like this.
- Always use your blinker. A blinker will signal to cars around you that you’re changing lanes. Making it less likely for an accident to occur.
- Double-check your mirror and blindspot. This will make sure you don’t accidentally clip someone while changing lanes.
- Don’t drive recklessly. Reckless driving will only lead to something devastating.
Let us review your case for free
Have you been involved in a car accident because someone else failed to signal, or didn’t use their turn signal? If you’ve been involved in a car accident, and have experienced pain and suffering, lost property, revenue, or suffered serious injuries keeping you out of work, we may be able to help. Complete our online car accident form, or call us directly at (865) 888-8888 to speak with one of our friendly team members.