When you think of the causes of car accidents, something like a construction site might not come to mind. Accident causes such as drunk driving, distracted driving, and weather conditions may come to your head before the dangers of construction sites.
The reality is, a construction site is responsible for a lot of car accidents in the world. A lot of the time, construction sites come out of nowhere and confuse us with how we should drive around them. Construction sites tend to force drivers to make bad decisions, which may end up leading to a bad accident.
In this article, we’re going to look at statistics surrounding construction site accidents, statistics on construction sites in general, how a construction site causes an accident, and tips for dealing with construction sites. By the end of it, you’ll be more knowledgable on the subject which will make you and the people around you better drivers.
Statistics on Construction Site Accidents
As noted, down below are some statistics about construction accidents.
- 43-percent of work zone crashes resulted in death or injury (2017)
- There were over 1,700 work zone crashes in Pennsylvania alone (2017)
- Of that number, 19 fatalities occurred
- 3 of those 19 fatalities were workers
The numbers are staggering. Leaving the subject itself to be as important as other top causes of car accidents.
Statistics on Construction Sites
To fully understand the issue, we need to look at statistics surrounding construction workers. Down below are some statistics about the danger of being a construction worker.
- 150,000 construction site accidents a year
- Workers 25 to 34 are most likely to be injured
- The construction industry is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world
- An entire 15-percent of worker’s compensation is spent on construction workers
As you can tell, the construction industry is a serious business. Besides the issues they face at work, they have to deal with the potential threat of a car accident.
How a Construction area Causes an Accident
In case you don’t know, there are a lot of reasons why a construction site might cause a potential accident. To fully understand this, we’re going to go over a few different reasons why construction sites often cause car accidents.
- A lot of the time, the construction zone doesn’t have the right signage up which causes drivers to not realize how they should drive until the last second. Which ends up causing a serious accident.
- Drivers who are in a rush tend to speed. When they enter a construction zone, they’re supposed to slow down, but a lot of the time they don’t. Which ends up causing them to make sharp turns and quick decisions. Thus causing an accident.
- Sometimes a construction zone causes the road to not be in perfect condition. This may cause a driver to lose control.
Tips for driving through construction zones
Below are a few tips on how to deal with construction zones.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you see a construction zone coming up, be extra aware.
- Never speed if you see a construction zone coming up. For all you know, a sharp turn may be coming up.
- Always be on the lookout for signage. Maybe a lane or shoulder is closed.
Have you Been in a construction site car accident?
Our team can help you receive compensation for your pain and suffering. There are many damages that accompany a car accident lawsuit that may be recoverable. Some of those damages include:
- Medical Care Coverage
- Inpatient care
- Follow-up care
- Physical therapy
- Prescription medications
- Other treatment-related expenses
- Other Economic Losses
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Non-Economic Losses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Let us review your car accident case for free
If you suffered from a car accident, the team from The Law Offices of Betz and Baril can take legal action on your behalf. We pursue compensation for you, building a strong case on your behalf. Our team conducts a full investigation to learn the facts of your case. As a part of this investigation, we identify and collect:
- Medical bills
- Tax forms and wage statements
- Any proof of your pain and suffering
- Other documentation of your losses and expenses
Talk to a car accident Attorney
If you or a loved one suffered from a car accident, the team from the Law Offices of Betz and Baril is here to help. We offer free case reviews and can help you understand your legal options.
We handle all personal cases on a contingency fee basis, so you won’t owe us anything unless we recover compensation for you.
Call us today at (865) 888-8888 for your free consultation with a knowledgeable member of our team.